Friday 16 September 2016

Initial Ideas / tests / influences

I was inspired by the music video "Out of the Black", in this music video aliens attack a petrol station. When the unrealistic explosions and over the top fights and gore take place, the video is animated, this is perhaps for an artistic effect or it is because of the low budget and censoring of the gore. When the chorus of the song plays, the animation starts.

I also want my music video to be partially animated as I could create extreme, over the top situations whilst it is still possible. I would also like the animation to appear when the musc tempo picks up for dramatic effect.




To explore this style, I practiced drawing over frames of a fight scene video I found on youtube (i want a fight scene on my music video) then put them together for a short animation, this is what I got:



Even though the panels of animation are very roughly drawn, when they are put together they look very distorted and the lines have violent movement. I really like this type of effect as it fits the indie rock genre I want to produce a music video for. I feel like my music video is going to have a narrative going on in one diegisis whilst the band / singer is singing in the other diegisis. The animation is most likely going to appear in the narrative diegisis.

Here are a few panels so far I have made 30:

This type of animation was inspired by an animated series I was watching at the time this project was set, it is called Mob Psycho 100. The art style is very roughly drawn and the frames and chaotic and full of straight black lines in order to show the protagonists anger and rage. This aspect could come in use on an indie rock music video as anger and rage is part of the genre's ideology.

Image result for mob psycho 100


Another idea which I have had is the type of narrative my music video has. I have took inspiration from the Dreaming music video by the Smallpools and would like my character to be stuck in a world where he feels trapped and keeps ending up in the same place no matter how many doors he opens. However, I want my character to get more stressed and eventually have a fight with the person who is causing it. I also want more gritty locations rather than a house party scene. The fight will be the main part of animation. I think this fits the indie rock genre well as both the music I am deciding to use is quite violent and disruptive. Here is the Dreaming Music video by the Smallpools:




These are the songs I am deciding on using, one of the songs does have a music video but I feel like I can make it more unique rather than it being footage of whats appears to be a live audience:






I have also had another idea where parts of the animated drawings of the actors actually appear into the real world also, a few examples are Take On Me by A-Ha, and You Better Pray by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.





Another idea I have had is that the narrative will focus upon the night before the events at the beginning of the video. The protagonist will wake up in the middle of a ran down location and will accidentally run into the events of the previous night by opening doors like in the Smallpools music video - Dreaming. He will get into all kinds of trouble as well as have an animated fight at the end. The end of the music video will then be the same as the beginning as it shows a cycle and explains this.

My idea for this has also been influenced by films:

Image result for source code

The narrative of Source Code is about a man who wakes up with a mission to find a bomb on a train. He has no idea how he got there and every time he dies in the process of stopping the bomb, the situation restarts. This type of mystery and confusion I will also like to include in my music video.

At the time this brief was set, I was watching an animated series in which influenced my idea for the narrative also. The narrative for RE: Zero is also very similar to Source Code in which the protagonist comes to life after he has died, only to have to try again and fix his mistakes. This causes an unbearable amount of suffering and stress for the protagonist in which I want to show in my music video.

Image result for Re zero logo


No comments:

Post a Comment