Friday 3 February 2017

Draft 2 (Filming my second Draft)



(My second draft starts at 44 seconds of the song)

My second draft to my music video includes more of my end animation as well as a chase scene I had previously planned out in my story board.

Chase Scene

My chase scene storyboard consists of 7 shots which add up to a total of 30 seconds:








In preparation for this scene, I looked at various YouTube videos that give you hints and tips on what to include to create the right mood and atmosphere. 




I found this video helpful as it tells you to be flexible as things won't go exactly to plan in an intense scene like a chase, It tells you to film in chronological order just so you can add other shots that you deiced on at the day of filming.

Filming my music video 

I used my story board as a guideline for what I wanted my scene to look similar too, however I knew I wouldn't totally stick to it as a chase scene is very frantic and other shots may apply better in terms of the cutting together of the shots.

The location we filmed at was Flemmingate in Beverley as I initially planned, I chose this area as it looks like an ordinary street in a city, however it is also very quiet on a night as it is not in the center of Beverley. The quietness of the location made the scene look better as the diegisis is meant to be set at around 3 o' clock in the morning after a night out where every shop is closed and no one is about... apart from two young criminals who are trying to kidnap him.

This is the first shot which I used:




As you can see, the first two panels on my storyboard are the same shot which last 16 seconds long all together. I feel I have re-created this shot very well in terms of framing with the hooded figures appearing either side of the protagonist. I feel that this particular shot needs to be slightly brighter just to define the main characters face a little more, however I don't think re-filming is appropriate as criminals are associated with appear at dark, gloomy places. Like my torture scene, particular moments of this shot will be animated to match the rhythm of the song, I would like to animated the appearance of the criminals in this scene as it will make their appearance seem more sudden.




This is my second shot which I feel is similar to my third and fourth panels in terms of that the framing starts central to the protagonist, however as he runs further away the criminals come into view who are chasing either side of him. The reason why the shot combines the two is because I was trying to take advantage of the location we were in and wanted one of the criminals to run into the sandwich board. This would make the chase seem a lot more frantic and distressing along with the camera shaking.



I included this shot to show a match on action when the criminal hits the sandwich board, this makes my music video look more technical as well as makes the chase appear more flowing rather than jumpy when it came to cutting the clips together. I feel the lighting on these clips is also a lot better than my first shot due to there being more lights further up the stretch of pathway.


This particular shot was used as a first person view, however I have only used a fraction of it that includes the framing of one thug chasing the protagonist. The framing of this section really works well as the protagonist remains central and the thug comes from the side into view. The shakiness of this particular shot also enhances the panic as well as the heavy chorus of the song.


This is a longshot from the side view which was inspired by one of the shots in Figure it Out - Royal Blood which I previously analysed:


I really like a side view shot as it makes the chase easier to understand in terms of the positioning of the chasers and the escapee, as shaky over the shoulder shots can be hard to understand as see clearly at times. Like in Figure it Out, my protagonist is also passing various objects whilst running which implies the fast paced speed he is running at.



This shot was also inspired from other media texts, for example during this time I recently viewed both the Danny Boyle films which include great chase scenes, I really liked the idea of having the camera move backwards and track the protagonist who is moving towards it. Of course due to the lack of equipment, this track isn't as smooth as the iconic one from Trainspotting but I also like the shakiness of the camera as I have said previously.



(Trainspotting Clip/influence)




This shot was based from my fourth shot which repeats twice in my storyboard, it is a tracking shot from behind of my protagonist running into an alley. In this location there was no alley so instead I told him to take a sharp turn right, then we could match this shot with one from another location.





This location was found in Beverley town center, a location I have planned to film in for other scenes in my music video. Except this is down a dark side alley. I needed the lighting to be fairly dark as this is the part in the scene where the protagonist fades into the darkness. This is probably my least favourite shot as although there is some camera movement, it isn't as aggressive and starts off very still, therefore calming the intense mood I was trying to create.




This shot is located further down the alley way, I really like the orange light as it adds a dramatic effect to the chase. I also like the positioning of scaffolding as it makes the protagonist journey through the alley more violent and rough as he is knocking against it. I also knocked against the scaffolding when filming making the filming look more distressing and shaky.


This particular shot is used at the end along with a cross dissolve, it matches my last storyboard frame which shows the protagonist running into darkness.

Here are some extra shots we took to experiment with camera angles to create different effects and framings:









No comments:

Post a Comment