Tuesday 14 March 2017

Draft 3



This is the third draft of my music video, the difference between this draft and the previous is that I have now produced more animation as well as filmed the bedroom, town and beginning scenes. I have also included my performance clips throughout the video to keep the artist / band recognition consistent.

(Screen Shot of Premiere Pro)


The Beginning Scene 

Th beginning scene really went to plan as I followed most of my story board panels, here is a shot for shot remake comparing my sketch to the actual footage: 

Shot 1:





















Sketched Panel:




As you can see I really planned this shot as I knew my location had a wall in it which I could climb up to take the high angle shot. To make this positioning fit, I made my actors in the previously filmed scenes, fight near by it.

Shot 2:


Panel:


As you can see, my protagonist isn't facing upwards however I decided I wanted him to slowly come to from his unconsciousness self, this would appear more realistic and believable.

Missing sketched panel:


I have learnt that creating an animatic isn't as structured as it may appear due to some shots that I thought could fit into the duration, do not fit in the scene. However I feel this shot isn't key in showing the narrative of the story and was really just a chance to show off some SFX make-up, up close.

Shot 3:


Sketched Panel:


This particular shot is the one which went on for too long, causing me to skip the close up of the knuckles, however I feel the protagonist should have taken his time to get up as it makes the environment more believable. As you can see I had already planned to shoot a depth of field shot as they are commonly used as artistic shots in music videos.

Shot 4:


Sketched Panel:


I also planned on getting this over the shoulder shot which I felt was important, as over the shoulder shots are conventional cinematography when trying to communicate a narrative when editing in continuity.

Shot 5:


Sketched Panel:


I included this panel to show the protagonists shocked emotions, I feel the way he leans on the wall really expresses his injury's as well as his distressed nature.

Shot 6:



Sketched Panel:


I planned this shot as I felt the last shot of a scene needs to display and show the situation clearly, therefore I included the dead body with a depth of field shot, showing my protagonist starting top run away.

Overall, this scene went the best due to the thorough planning and the amount of space I had to create my shots.

Town Scene 

This scene is 10 seconds long.

Here is a shot for shot comparison of the town scene: 

Shot 1: 


Sketched Panel: 



As you can see, on the day I decided to take a different approach to filming this shot as it wasn't very planned before hand due to the look of the sketch. I did not want a medium shot from the front as you would be able to see behind the protagonist, however this is the part where he changes location by walking through his front door, so essentially behind him should be the scenery from the previous shot. 

Reflecting on this, I decided to take the shot from the side so you don't see behind the protagonist.  I also thought this was a good idea as the match on action between this and the previous shot would be more flowing. The previous shot still needs to be filmed at the moment. 

This shot is also alot longer than I expected due to the fact I wanted my actor to appear very confused. This made it difficult to fit alot of my shots into the short time slot I had (roughly 10 seconds)

Shot 2: 


Sketched Panel: 


As you can see the sketched panel and the actual shot is very different, this is because my actual shot has been cut down and the part where the protagonist is walking with his friends has been taken out due to the small time slot I had to fit this scene in. This is the full length of the shot:




As you can see I have merged the sketched panel of the friends walking, with the sketched panel of the over shoulder shot and made into one continuous shot:



However I still need to animated the man the protagonist is looking at in the panel. 

Shot 3: 


Sketched Panel: 


As you can see I have matched the close up of the protagonist looking at the animated man. 

Shot 4: 


Sketched Panel: 



   As you can see, I cut back to the over-shoulder shot as planned, where the girl shoulder barges him. On the time of the barge, I move the camera very quickly to create my wipe transition.

Shots I Missed 


There was a medium shot planned, whilst the protagonist is looking at the animated figure, I did not include this due to the limited time frame I had for the scene.

In my original plan it also cuts to the over shoulder shot three times instead of two which I had to miss out because of the 10 second time frame.

Bedroom Scene 

This scene was 16 seconds long. 

Shot 1: 


Sketched Panel: 


I feel the fast wipe effect was very effective as the movement of the camera exaggerates my female actors movement onto my protagonist. This shot is very long due to the fact I also made it the shot in which the male antagonist enters the room with his gang. I incorporated this shot with a fast pan to him storming into the room. I feel this is an effective shot as it clearly shows the situation by comparing the body language of the characters,  

Sketched Panel: 


Shot 2: 


Sketched Panel: 


I realized I didn't include a shot of my antagonist approaching my protagonist in my storyboard, so instead I did an over the shoulder, tracking shot of the antagonist which leads onto him performing the grab. I really like the movement I used as it shows the violent nature of the grab. 




Shot 3:


Sketched Panel: 


I feel I roughly followed this shot however from a different angle as I cannot film behind the protagonist as he is against the wall. However, I was still able to include the rule of thirds framing of the thug behind the antagonist and protagonist, to make it look like he is over whelmed. I also included the shot reverse shot edit sequence which i planned, too and from this shot  to the previous.

Bedroom Scene Ending 

Initially I planned an animation of my protagonist jumping out of a window to escape as this would be a clever way of showing the end of the scene, However I still need to finish my fight animation so I don't have time. I also realized I would not be able to fit it into the short time slot I had for the scene, as the animatic made me think I could include more shots in a short time frame, due to the fact they are only still pictures. 

Sketched Frames: 


 


Ending shot: 


Instead of my animation, I worked out how long I had left to finish off the scene and created a medium, reverse tracking shot of my protagonist escaping. I really like this shot as the camera movement is fast and frantic, showing the atmosphere of the scene. I also had to think of ways my protagonist could escape and realized my female character hasn't been seen alot during this scene. I then decided to have her grab her boyfriend (antagonist) to start an argument, allowing the protagonist to escape. I ended the shot with a wipe which happens on the beat of the ending line, which I feel is very effective as you don't see how the scene ends, creating tension.

Missing Scene 

I planned after my protagonist's fall, that he would pick himself up and stare at the animated figure once again. However once I placed the shots together in Premiere Pro I realized I didn't have time to include it. But it wasn't essential, just supports the consistent appearance of the mysterious animated figure. 

Sketched Panels: 



End Scene 

Shot 1:


This specific shot was made up on the day, however it is from the same angle as one of the opening shots to the video. This is to show that he has just re-lived a cycle of the night before.

Shot 2:


Sketched Panel:



The last shot of the video was also one that happens at the beginning of the music video.

In my next draft I need to film the build up and alternate ending of the fight scene as I do not have time to animated the ending part where the characters fire energy from their hands. I also need to animate small parts of every scene to the beat of the guitar. I also need to film the shot that shows the protagonist running home from seeing the dead body.  




No comments:

Post a Comment