Thursday 3 November 2016

Fight Scene Planning

I have decided I am going to shoot my fight scene first as it is the longest animated shot. In preparation for this I need to research the useful micro-technical elements that make the fight look realistic by making the punches look light they connect. This should be easier for me in my case because if shots appear like they don't connect, I will simply draw the arms a little longer in the animation process.

Here are some useful videos on how to choreography / shoot a fight scene:




This video suggests that most cinematography rules don't apply when shooting a fight scene as a lot of it is improvised. The video tells you to try and express the actors movement by moving the camera along with their actions. Another thing to consider when shooting a fight scene is that the camera has to be behind the actor being hit in order for the punch to look like it connects. You can also cut between shots when a punch connects in order for it to look realistic. Another thing that was suggested was spraying aerosol to create a nice, thick atmosphere which gives your footage a gritty look.



 This video says that choreography is key when shooting a fight scene and the actors should be confident when acting it out. It also says that the fight scene should be shot in sections. There should be a cut whenever there is a break in the choreography in order for the actors to refresh their memory and prepare for the next sequence. It also says to do the same sequence in different shots over and over to get variety in your cinematography aswell as many opportunities to show match on actions.

My Fight Scene

I would like my fight scene to appear uncut as I want the camera to rotate 360 degrees around my actors whilst they are fighting. I know the fight scene will go on along time and the actors won't be able to remember all of it so when the camera goes behind the actors back, I shall cut it and start the next fight sequence every 180 degree rotation.

My fight scene will be 30 seconds long as that is how long the final chorus is in my song, I will predict that there will be 3-4 full 360 degree rotations when filming the fight scene. 

My Choreography 

Will Sprints towards Charlie for 3 seconds 

Will: RH Jab, LH Hook

Charlie: LH Parry, RH Cover, LH Jab

Will: RH Back Fist

Charlie: LH Spinning Back Fist

Will: RL High Push Kick

Charlie: RL Mid Roundkick

Will: Right Side Step, LH Catch, RH Cross

Charlie: Push away

Dramatic Pause / Stare Down 

Will: RH Hook

Charlie: LH Cover, RH Hook

Will: LH Cover, RH Cross

Charlie: LH Parry, RH Cross, RH Hook

Will: LH Cover, RH Hook

Charlie: LH Cover, RH Cross

Will: LH Parry, RH Cross

Charlie Stumbles back

Will: Jump RL Push Kick

Both actors assume position as if they are shooting energy at each other (lasts 15 seconds)

Will starts to slowly collapse (lasts 5 seconds) 

Whole Fight Approximatley - 30 to 50 seconds

















No comments:

Post a Comment